Monday, June 8, 2015

A COMC Order

I order a lot of single cards from Sportlots, but very rarely check out COMC. Sportlots seems cheaper, especially with most of the cards I buy only being 18¢, but then shipping is closer to a $1 for each card. Individual cards at COMC are typically higher priced, but shipping is a flat $3 for as many cards as you purchase per order. I haven't quite broken it down to see where I'm better off buying from, I'm just happy that I have options on where to buy singles.

Todays' delivery from COMC brought me 6 cards of players and coaches in the Florida State League that I didn't have cards of. Hopefully I'll be able to get these signed before the season ends.


Joe Ayrault is the Manager of the Brevard County Manatees (Brewers). I remember him playing for the Atlanta Braves and thought for sure he'd have a MLB card, but I couldn't find one. This card was listed at $3.25 on COMC, but I didn't want to spend that much. I tried Sportlots, but couldn't find any of his cards on there. So, I held off. I've already seen his team play a few times already this season. I even talked to him the last time I saw them. He approached me before the game asking whose autograph I was waiting for. I told him I was looking for Wei-Chung Wang. Wei-Chung's translator happened to be in the dugout, a few feet from Joe, so Joe told him to go get Wei-Chung and tell him he has someone waiting for him. A minute later Wei-Chung comes out with his translator and ends up signing one of my favorite looking signatures.
I thanked Joe and went on my way.
Jeff Smith is the manager of the Fort Myers Miracle (Twins), whom I have yet to see play this season.
Willians Astudillo, aside from having a cool name, is a Phillies prospect playing for my local team, the Clearwater Threshers.

The rest of my COMC order includes:
Luis Heredia was recently promoted to the Bradenton Marauders (Pirates). I had read that the team signed him when he was 16 and he was highly touted, so I decided to order a card of him.
Jeff McNeil plays for my favorite team, the New York Mets, but I specifically sought out a card of his because he is the current batting leader in the Florida State League. As of this post, he's batting .344.
Ben Verlander is a Detroit Tigers farmhand, playing for the Lakeland Flying Tigers. He also happens to be the younger brother of Justin.

I can't wait to add these cards to my autograph collection.

1 comment:

  1. The Pirates spent a good bit of money on Heredia. His prospect status has fallen some, but he is still very young so the potential is there.

    ReplyDelete

Like This Site on Facebook