Sunday, July 19, 2015

2015 Daytona Tortugas Team Set

I started following the Florida State League in 1993. That same year, the Chicago Cubs had a team enter the league and made their home at Jackie Robinson Ballpark in Daytona Beach, Florida. They called themselves the Daytona Cubs.
After the end of the 2014 season, the Cubs decided to end their affiliation with Daytona as well as the Florida State League.

Daytona is now a Cincinnati Reds affiliate and they're called the Daytona Tortugas. If you follow the Reds Minor League system, a player will typically play at low A Dayton and then move to Advanced A Daytona. I can imagine that stat readers might be confused and think they're the same team and possibly think there was a spelling mistake.

Anyhow, the Tortugas play in the north division of the FSL, so they play a lot of their road games in Clearwater and Dunedin, both teams which I frequent the most. I decided to order a team set from the Tortugas online store. It was only $8, though shipping was a little over $6.
Sealed Daytona Tortugas team set
Not exactly the sturdiest packaging, but the cards were sent in a bubble wrapped envelope and arrived without damage.

The hologram sticker on the package is to prove that it's an official set. I'm sure the small font signifies something, but I'm not sure.

The card stock seems a little thicker than the Dunedin Blue Jays set that I posted about yesterday.

Like that Blue Jays set, this one also has some great looking photography, but it does suffer from the same repetitive shots, with one exception, which I'll show later in this post.
Phillip Ervin
 
Amir Garrett

























El'Hajj Muhammad
Robert Ramirez

Nick Travieso
Sammy Diaz

























Jimmy Moran
Alex Blandino

























Carlton Daal
Nick Howard

























Zack Weiss
Sebastian Elizalde

























Nick Benedetto
Nolan Becker

























Sal Romano
Jeff Gelalich

























Jon Matthews
Blaine Howell

























Barrett Astin
Joe Hudson























Evan Mitchell
Joel Bender
Jackson Stephens
























Are you ready for that lone exception that I mentioned earlier? Here it is, a fielding shot of third baseman, Taylor Sparks.
Taylor Sparks
The backs of the cards are easy to read and have the usual stats and a brief bio.
Chad Wallach
Chad Wallach















The coaching staff and trainers round out the set.
Kevin Mahar
Eli Marrero
Tony Fossas
Kyle Utne

















































Morgan Gregory























I'll be seeing Daytona again on Tuesday when they visit Dunedin. I hope to get many of these cards signed then.

1 comment:

  1. I can't remember if I'd said anything before, but thanks for sharing these sets... I always like to see the various sets, even if it's a set I wasn't likely to get... It's just fun to look at them.

    ReplyDelete

Like This Site on Facebook