Sunday, March 1, 2015

Devon Travis: From "Cool, I Have a Card of Him" to "Wow, This Guy Is Good!"

Today I visited the Toronto Blue Jays spring training complex in Dunedin, Florida. I found the roster online of all players invited. It featured the 40-man roster as well as the non-roster invitees. I went through all my cards, pulling all the ones who were listed. One player's card I had, Devon Travis, was wearing a Detroit Tigers Minor League uniform. I didn't know anything about him, but I just assumed that the Tigers probably dumped him and the Jays were willing to give him a shot.

He was wearing number 77, a sure sign that his stay in big league camp was not going to be long. After watching him take batting practice, I approached him for an autograph. He signed my card and liked my pen of choice, a retractable Sharpie.



When I got home, I posted the card on my autograph site (it won't be posted until June 2017, so enjoy the sneak peek above).
I always add the Baseball Reference page for each player. While reading his page, I was blown away at how well he's performed.



Granted, he only has 3 professional seasons under his belt, but those numbers were impressive.

I have no idea what the Toronto Blue Jays infield is like, but I do have a strong feeling that Devon Travis will be involved in it in the near future. It may not be in 2015, but I will bet that he'll be wearing a much lower jersey number come spring training 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like This Site on Facebook