Thursday, October 15, 2015

Luis Torrens: A Tribute to Zippy Zappy

Being a baseball card blogger, is it possible to rip open a pack of cards, pull a Luis Torrens card and not think of Zippy Zappy at Torren' Up Cards?

I had an even bigger experience today. At the final Florida Instructional League game, the Yankees visited Clearwater to play the Phillies. Before the game started, I noticed Luis Torrens just wandering around the concourse of Bright House Field. Here I am, foolishly waiting in the hot sun by the dugout awaiting the players/coaches, when I could've been in the shade awaiting them. I headed up the stairs and approached him. I was almost tempted to tell him that I read his biggest fan's blog, but I didn't know if he knew him as Zippy Zappy or not, so I just asked for an autograph and wished him luck, and kept the possibly awkward conversation to myself.
I've never been Zippy Zapped and I don't think he follows me or is even aware of this blog, so hopefully he'll discover this someday and know that a reader was thinking of him while getting a card signed.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for checking out my blog and thinking of me when you got an autograph from Torrens :). I'm jealous that you got to meet him after he returned from his long rehab.

    I'm not entirely sure if he's ever been to my blog but I did meet him in 2014. And for whatever it's worth his father has definitely stopped by my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Like This Site on Facebook